Free Gift Transfers in Comics
Page 16 of 20
Marvel UK Secret Wars No.1, 27th April 1985 — Free Secret Wars Rub Down Transfers
"It's no mystery that with this number one issue we're giving you a FREE set of Secret Wars rub down transfers. And nestling in the centre pages you'll find a special Secret Wars background scene on which to apply your transfers. Take a pair of scissors and carefully open the staple holding the background in place. Lift the background clear, then close the staple over again to keep your number one issue in mint condition.
"Now you can build your own Secret Wars action scene. Peel away the backing sheet from your transfers and position the image you want, colour side up, where you want it on the background. Rub over the image with a soft pencil or ball-point pen, as if you were shading in the image, to fix it in place. Now gently peel away the transfer sheet and the image will be left on the background. Carry on positioning the rest of the transfers as you think best to build your own Secret Wars action scene.
"To show off your Secret Wars handiwork, simply mount it on a piece of cut-to-size cardboard and display it proudly on your bedroom wall.
"AND THERE'S ANOTHER FABULOUS FREE GIFT WITH SECRET WARS No.2 ON SALE IN JUST 14 DAYS. MORE NEWS ON PAGE 22!"
Yes, be careful when bending that staple back if you want to keep your comic in mint condition & sell it on eBay for a massive sum in 25 years. Because you may find that most people willing to pay massive sums for such things will disagree with Marvel UK over the definition of "mint condition".
Luckily, this one really WAS in mint condition, & I paid the correspondingly massive sum of £3 for it — more than ten times the original price!
— And who says collecting comics can't be profitable?
Other pages in this article about Free Gift Transfers in Comics:
- ← Cor!! No.2, 13th June 1970 — Anglo Bell Boy Double Treat — Somportex Combat Bubble Gum
- ← Michelino: 1, 2 & 3, 1971-1972 (PR130)
- ← Look-In No.8 (of volume 7) week ending 19th February 1977 — Action Transfers (SAT Carnival)
- ← Wall's / Look In No.11 (of volume 8), week ending 11th March 1978 — "Star Wars" Transfers Offer
- ← TV Comic: 1377 5th May 1978 & 1378 12th May 1978 — Skateboard Iron-On Action Transfers
- ← Look-In No.40 (of volume 8) week ending 30th September 1978 — Free Kalkitos Fun Transfer Kit
- ← TV Comic Nos.1452 & 1453, 12th & 19th October 1979 — Hanna-Barbera Transfers
- ← Whizzer and Chips, Monday 13th October 1979 — Free Gift Kalkitos
- ← Marvel UK: Doctor Who Weekly Nos.1-4, October 17th - November 7th 1979 — Transfers by Dave Gibbons
- ← Marvel UK: The Empire Strikes Back Weekly No.118, May 29th 1980 / Dairylea — Star Wars Transfers
- ← TV Comic: 1530 17th April to 1533 15th May 1981 (4 issues) — Popeye Transfers (LP147)
- ← Eagle: 17th December, 23rd December 1983 — Ultraman Poster & Transfer (LP221)
- ← Marvel UK: Transformers Nos.1-3, 20th September - 31st October 1984 — Free Action Transfers
- ← Marvel UK: Spider-Man No.607, 27th October 1984 — Free Rub Down Spider-Man Transfers
- ← Splat Comic No.1, 27th February 1985 — Terrifically Terrible Transfers (Tattooze)
- Marvel UK: Secret Wars No.1, 27th April 1985 — Free Secret Wars Rub Down Transfers — this page; see above ↑
- Marvel UK: Return of the Jedi Nos.97-99, 27th April - 11th May 1985 — Free Ewok Transfers →
- Marvel UK: The Spider-Man Comic Nos.634-635, 4th-11th May 1985 — Free Action Rub-Down Transfers →
- Katy No.1, 31st October 1986 — Colour Transfers Free Inside →
- Disney Magazine (UK) & Micky Maus (Germany) — 1984-1991 →
Picture Credit: The SPLAT Scan Archives