Free Gift Transfers in Comics
Page 14 of 20
Marvel UK Spider-Man No.607, 27th October 1984 — Free Rub Down Spider-Man Transfers
"After lifting the background off, you should be able to close the staple over again." Words of wisdom for us all, there.
Next week: Spidey Sticker. Check with mum first.
There's another Spider-Man comic or two in this article, in a couple of pages' time: The Spider-Man Comic Nos.634-635, 4th-11th May 1985
Letraset, masters of recycling, took their artwork from this Maxi-size PrestoMagiX set.
Gillette/PaperMate must have particularly liked the "Waterfront Encounter" set, because they used the artwork in their point-of-sale display boxes.
(This photo was kindly donated by PlaidStallions.)
As I'm sure you're aware by now, Kalkitos was the brand name for Gillette's Letraset products throughout the World, but the equivalent within the US was branded PrestoMagiX. So most sets that appeared under one brand name would usually appear under the other. Here's a cut-down Kalkitos set from Australia, kindly sent to me by David. From the look of it (& the fact it's distributed by the now-defunct "Murfett Pty"), I would guess that this isn't a 'proper' Kalkitos set, but a little something put together from scraps after Gillette had abandoned ship. Look at the other titles advertised…
Other pages in this article about Free Gift Transfers in Comics:
- ← Cor!! No.2, 13th June 1970 — Anglo Bell Boy Double Treat — Somportex Combat Bubble Gum
- ← Michelino: 1, 2 & 3, 1971-1972 (PR130)
- ← Look-In No.8 (of volume 7) week ending 19th February 1977 — Action Transfers (SAT Carnival)
- ← Wall's / Look In No.11 (of volume 8), week ending 11th March 1978 — "Star Wars" Transfers Offer
- ← TV Comic: 1377 5th May 1978 & 1378 12th May 1978 — Skateboard Iron-On Action Transfers
- ← Look-In No.40 (of volume 8) week ending 30th September 1978 — Free Kalkitos Fun Transfer Kit
- ← TV Comic Nos.1452 & 1453, 12th & 19th October 1979 — Hanna-Barbera Transfers
- ← Whizzer and Chips, Monday 13th October 1979 — Free Gift Kalkitos
- ← Marvel UK: Doctor Who Weekly Nos.1-4, October 17th - November 7th 1979 — Transfers by Dave Gibbons
- ← Marvel UK: The Empire Strikes Back Weekly No.118, May 29th 1980 / Dairylea — Star Wars Transfers
- ← TV Comic: 1530 17th April to 1533 15th May 1981 (4 issues) — Popeye Transfers (LP147)
- ← Eagle: 17th December, 23rd December 1983 — Ultraman Poster & Transfer (LP221)
- ← Marvel UK: Transformers Nos.1-3, 20th September - 31st October 1984 — Free Action Transfers
- Marvel UK: Spider-Man No.607, 27th October 1984 — Free Rub Down Spider-Man Transfers — this page; see above ↑
- Splat Comic No.1, 27th February 1985 — Terrifically Terrible Transfers (Tattooze) →
- Marvel UK: Secret Wars No.1, 27th April 1985 — Free Secret Wars Rub Down Transfers →
- Marvel UK: Return of the Jedi Nos.97-99, 27th April - 11th May 1985 — Free Ewok Transfers →
- Marvel UK: The Spider-Man Comic Nos.634-635, 4th-11th May 1985 — Free Action Rub-Down Transfers →
- Katy No.1, 31st October 1986 — Colour Transfers Free Inside →
- Disney Magazine (UK) & Micky Maus (Germany) — 1984-1991 →
Picture Credit: The SPLAT Scan Archives — PlaidStallions — David