Free Gift Transfers in Comics
Page 18 of 20
Marvel UK The Spider-Man Comic Nos.634-635, 4th-11th May 1985 — Free Action Rub-Down Transfers
It's a comic. It had free transfers. 'Nuff said.
No.634 4th May 1985 (LP233)
"YOUR FREE GIFT!
We hope you like the Spidey rub-down transfers, presented FREE with this week's issue! We've also included a free background scene, which you can remove carefully from the comic.
Once you've added this week's transfers — keep it safe! 'CAUSE THERE ARE MORE FREE TRANSFERS NEXT WEEK!"
As you can see from the scan, the background scene was the full width of the centre pages, but not the full height.
No.635 11th May 1985 (LP232)
"Hope you like your free Action Rub-Down Transfers! You'll see we haven't given you a background this week. The background given away last week was designed for both sets of transfers BUT ALSO we're giving you the chance to design your own!
WIN A PAINTING SET!"
Notice that the transfers aren't referred to as "Action Transfers", but as "Action Rub-Down Transfers". These transfers would have been produced by Acorn Printed Products.
Given that the background was to be shared between two week's worth of transfers, it seems a double swizz that four of the transfers are identical on each sheet. There's nothing like pitching low to your intended audience…
You can just make out the original transfer sheet in this close-up from the cover of the PrestoMagiX set from which the artwork was derived:
Oh, well; why not show you the whole thing? Unfortunately, it's used — but you can't have everything.
Other pages in this article about Free Gift Transfers in Comics:
- ← Cor!! No.2, 13th June 1970 — Anglo Bell Boy Double Treat — Somportex Combat Bubble Gum
- ← Michelino: 1, 2 & 3, 1971-1972 (PR130)
- ← Look-In No.8 (of volume 7) week ending 19th February 1977 — Action Transfers (SAT Carnival)
- ← Wall's / Look In No.11 (of volume 8), week ending 11th March 1978 — "Star Wars" Transfers Offer
- ← TV Comic: 1377 5th May 1978 & 1378 12th May 1978 — Skateboard Iron-On Action Transfers
- ← Look-In No.40 (of volume 8) week ending 30th September 1978 — Free Kalkitos Fun Transfer Kit
- ← TV Comic Nos.1452 & 1453, 12th & 19th October 1979 — Hanna-Barbera Transfers
- ← Whizzer and Chips, Monday 13th October 1979 — Free Gift Kalkitos
- ← Marvel UK: Doctor Who Weekly Nos.1-4, October 17th - November 7th 1979 — Transfers by Dave Gibbons
- ← Marvel UK: The Empire Strikes Back Weekly No.118, May 29th 1980 / Dairylea — Star Wars Transfers
- ← TV Comic: 1530 17th April to 1533 15th May 1981 (4 issues) — Popeye Transfers (LP147)
- ← Eagle: 17th December, 23rd December 1983 — Ultraman Poster & Transfer (LP221)
- ← Marvel UK: Transformers Nos.1-3, 20th September - 31st October 1984 — Free Action Transfers
- ← Marvel UK: Spider-Man No.607, 27th October 1984 — Free Rub Down Spider-Man Transfers
- ← Splat Comic No.1, 27th February 1985 — Terrifically Terrible Transfers (Tattooze)
- ← Marvel UK: Secret Wars No.1, 27th April 1985 — Free Secret Wars Rub Down Transfers
- ← Marvel UK: Return of the Jedi Nos.97-99, 27th April - 11th May 1985 — Free Ewok Transfers
- Marvel UK: The Spider-Man Comic Nos.634-635, 4th-11th May 1985 — Free Action Rub-Down Transfers — this page; see above ↑
- Katy No.1, 31st October 1986 — Colour Transfers Free Inside →
- Disney Magazine (UK) & Micky Maus (Germany) — 1984-1991 →
Picture Credit: The SPLAT Scan Archives